Welcome Loan Policy
Minimum loan £150
Maximum loan £1,000
This loan product is designed for new members who join the credit union with no savings. This loan can be refinanced over the first year of membership. It is a gateway to building savings and being eligible to apply for a Saver Loan. The maximum loan term is 5 years. The interest rate is 36% ( APR 42.6%)
Terms and conditions:
- You must be a member of South Manchester Credit Union to be eligible to apply for a Welcome Loan.
- You must be aged between 18 years and 69 years to apply for a Welcome Loan.
- You must complete the loan application process and provide all information requested for a full loan assessment. An external credit check will be undertaken.
- Once a Welcome Loan offer is made, you will sign the Loan Agreement if you accept the offer and agree with the loan terms.
- You agree to repay the loan to South Manchester Credit Union and pay interest on the unpaid balance at the agreed rate. Interest will be charged on the outstanding balances on a daily basis.
- You agree to make payments at the agreed frequency and will continue to do so until the loan and interest have been repaid in full. If you miss a repayment, you will incur additional interest on the loan. The first payment will be due on the date agreed in the Loan Agreement.
- If you don’t make a repayment on time we will contact you to find out why. The interest on your agreement is based on you paying on time. If you miss payments, you may end up paying more interest than on the agreement. If you stop paying your loan we can ask you to repay the whole loan at once. If you stop repaying your loan and we have to take steps to contact you for repayments, we may add the cost of chasing you to the amount owed to us.
- If your loan is in arrears we have the right to apply any savings held in your Locked Savings account towards the arrears due.
- You have the right to settle the Loan Agreement early at any time by paying in full the balance of the loan plus any unpaid interest outstanding. South Manchester Credit Union will, on request, provide you with a written statement of the sums which have been paid and which remain outstanding under the Loan Agreement.
- You agree to save at least £2 per week to build your savings with South Manchester Credit Union. The savings you accumulate in this way, whilst you are repaying a Welcome Loan, will be held in your Locked Savings account. Any additional savings will be placed in your Open Savings account from which a monthly savings withdrawal is permitted. Once your Locked Savings balance exceeds your loan balance, the difference may be withdrawn.
- During the term of the loan, you agree that you will inform us immediately if you give or receive notice of termination of employment, change of address or any other personal circumstance which will affect your ability to make the agreed loan repayments, so that alternative methods of payment may be arranged.
- A first Welcome Loan may be refinanced after at least 16 weeks of loan repayments as per the Loan Agreement.
Credit reference and fraud protection agencies